My name is Jim Freije and I am submitting this candidate profile for the open Board Director position with the Burke Athletic Club.
I have lived in Burke, Virginia since 2015 and currently reside in the Landings neighborhood with my wife and son, Evan (our two older children are grown and making their way into world!). I recently joined a Fairfax, Virginia law firm where I am employed as Counsel.
I had the pleasure of serving as an assistant coach with Roger Kang’s U5 co-ed soccer team. After that positive experience, I decided to become a volunteer head coach with my son’s soccer teams over the past couple of seasons. Currently, I am coaching a boys U7/U8 soccer team in Spring 2022.
As a long-time soccer player growing up and team-sport athlete (including old-man slow-pitch softball), I recognize the opportunities that team sports provide. The impact that sports provide goes a long way in shaping positive character and habits as our children become young adults. I believe that Burke Athletic Club does a wonderful job in supporting the community and its young members by offering an outlet for the children in the community to grow.
To that end, I would like to be involved with continuing to the help Burke Athletic Club achieve its goals by joining the Board of Directors. I have seen firsthand the benefits of the some of the programs enacted by Burke Athletic Club, including the recent addition of the soccer skills training sessions and as a participant in the Positive Coaching Alliance workshops. I believe that I would be an asset to the Board to further these types of activities and to engage our community to continue offering positive outlets for our children to stay active and to gain life skills.
- I have lived in Burke, VA for more than 20 years
- I have been on BAC Board of Directors for several years - positions include secretary, Positive Coaching Alliance liaison, BAC Student Athlete Scholarship panel member
- I was a Burke Athletic Club (BAC) volunteer coach for more than 10 years in the recreational and travel soccer programs
- My children have participated in BAC athletics and were volunteer coaches
- My wife (Ellen Kiely) works for BAC